- Date of Birth: June 22, 1940.
- Place of Birth: Moscow, Russia.
- Sex: Female.
- Marital status: Married; one daughter.
- Nationality: Ukrainian.
Education and degrees
- 1968-1957: Secondary School, Moscow.
- 1957-1963: Medical Institute, Kiev, Diploma of Advanced Physician.
- 1963-1967: Post-graduate course at Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev.
- 1968: Degree: Candidate of Biological Sciences (Ph.D. equivalent) Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev (1968, Awarding Council Chairman: Professor P.Kostyuk). Thesis: "The transmission of afferent impulses through the medial Burduch nucleus."
- 1989: Degree: Doctor of Science; the same Institute. (1989; Awarding Council Chairman: Professor P. Kostyuk). Thesis: "The structural basis of the cellular neuroontogenesis in dissociated culture of nervous tissue".
- 1994: Degree: Professor of Medicine.
- 2006: Honored Worker of Science and Technique of Ukraine
• 1968-1973: Junior Scientific Fellow at Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Ukrainian Academy of Sciences, Kiev, Ukraine. • 1973-1988: Senior Scientific Fellow at Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology. • 1988-1992: Leading Scientific Fellow, Chief of scientific group; the same Institute. • 1992-1996: The Head of Laboratory of Neurocytology; the same Institute. • 1996-at present: The Head of Cytology Department; the same Institute.
Fields of interest:
- Cell and molecular mechanisms of neuronal degeneration caused by cerebral ischemia, diabetes, Parkinson's disease, perinatal pathology of the central nervous system and the effects of these pathologies on neuronal and synaptic plasticity; involvement of glial cell reaction in the development of neurodegeneration.
- The searching of approaches for pharmacological correction of experimental neuropathological states. Screening of substances with neuroprotective properties. Investigation of mechanisms of endogenous protection (pre- and post-conditioning).
- Study of stem cells application and its reparative effect on postischemic brain. Stimulation of brain neurogenesis in aged brain by different pharmacological agents.
- Neuroscience Society
- Ukrainian Physiological Society
- Ukrainian Society of Anatomists, Histologists and Embryologists
- IBRO (International Brain Research Organization)
- FENS (Federation of European Neuroscience Societies)
- Editorial board of “Journal Pre-Clinical and Clinical Research” (JPCCR)
- Editorial board of “Pathologia” (Medical journal for basic and clinical studies, Ukraine)
- Editorial board of “Ukrainian neurological journal”
Awards and Visiting Grants
- 1994: Academician Bogomoletz Award of Ukrainian Academy of Sciences.
- 1994: Welcome Trust Travel Grant; Department of Biology, The Open University, Milton Keynes, Great Britain.
- 1995: Fellow Exchange Program; Pharmacology Department, University of Geneva.
- 1996: Welcome Trust Travel Grant; Biology Department, The Open University, Milton Keynes, Great Britain.
- 1997: Royal Society Ex-Quota Fellowships, Department of Biology, the Open University, Milton Keynes, Great Britain.
- 1998: Department of Cell Biology, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA, Visiting Professor.
- 1999: Welcome Trust Travel Grant; Biology Department, The Open University, Milton Keynes, Great Britain.
- 2000: Scientific Co-operation between Eastern Europe and Switzerland (SCOPE 2000-2003), Geneva University, Switzerland.
- 2002: Fellow Exchange Program; Protein Laboratory, Institute of Molecular Pathology, Copenhagen University, Denmark.
- 2006: Invited Lecturer; The Center for laser microscopy, Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade.
- 2007: Invited Lecturer; Max-Delbrueck-Center for Moleculare Medicine Berlin-Buch, Germany.
- 2007: Invited Lecturer; MC/WG Meeting of COST В30 Аction: Neural Regeneration and Plasticity (NEREPLAS); Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2008: Expert of COST В30 Аction: Neural Regeneration and Plasticity (NEREPLAS).
- 2008: Invited Lecturer; Department of Cell and Organism Biology, Lund University, Sweden.
- 2009-2011: Participant of COST В30 and BM0603 Аctions
- 2010: Invited lecturer; laboratory of Neural Stem cell Biology & Therapy, Lund Stem Cell Centre, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden.
- 2011 : Invited Professor; Department of Cell and Organism Biology, Lund University, Sweden.
- 2013: Invited Professor: Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences, University of Minneapolis, MN, USA
Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Bogomoletz str.4, 01024, Kiev, Ukraine.
- Tel.: 380 (44) 293-21-58
- Fax: 380 (44) 256-24-42
- e-mail:gskibo@ biph.kiev.ua.
Selected publications (for the last 5 years)
- Voytenko LP, Lushnikova IV, Savotchenko AV, Isaeva EV, Skok MV, Lykhmus OY, Patseva MA, Skibo GG. Hippocampal GABAergic interneurons coexpressing alpha7-nicotinic receptors and connexin-36 are able to improve neuronal viability under oxygen-glucose deprivation. Brain Res. 2015 Aug 7;1616:134-45.
- Isaev D, Lushnikova I, Lunko O, Zapukhliak O, Maximyuk O, Romanov A, Skibo GG, Tian C, Holmes GL, Isaeva E. Contribution of protease-activated receptor 1 in status epilepticus-induced epileptogenesis. Neurobiol Dis. 2015 Jun;78:68-76.
- Tsupykov O, Kyryk V, Smozhanik E, Rybachuk O, Butenko G, Pivneva T, Skibo G. Long-term fate of grafted hippocampal neural progenitor cells following ischemic injury.// J Neurosci Res. 2014 Aug;92(8):964-74.
- Orlovsky MA, Dosenko VE, Spiga F, Skibo GG, Lightman SL. Hippocampus remodeling by chronic stress accompanied by GR, proteasome and caspase-3 overexpression.// Brain Res. 2014 Oct 5. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2014.09.059.
- Pierzynowski S, Ushakova G, Kovalenko T, Osadchenko I, Goncharova K, Gustavsson P, Prykhodko O, Wolinski J, Slupecka M, Ochniewicz P, Weström B, Skibo G. Impact of colostrum and plasma immunoglobulin intake on hippocampus structure during early postnatal development in pigs. Int J Dev Neurosci. 2014 Mar 15. pii: S0736-5748(14)00037-9
- Orlovsky M., Dosenko V., Spiga F., Skibo G., Lightman S. Hippocampus remodeling by chronic stress accompanied by GR, proteasome and caspase-3 overexpression // Brain Res. 2014 Dec 17;1593:83-94.
- Woliński J, Słupecka M, Weström B, Prykhodko O, Ochniewicz P, Arciszewski M, Ekblad E, Szwiec K, Ushakova, Skibo G, Kovalenko T, Osadchenko I, Goncharova K, Botermans J, Pierzynowski S. Effect of feeding colostrum versus exogenous immunoglobulin G on gastrointestinal structure and enteric nervous system in newborn pigs. J Anim Sci. 2012 Dec;90 Suppl 4:327-30.
- Pierzynowski S, Szwiec K, Valverde Piedra JL, Gruijc D, Szymanczyk S, Swieboda P, Prykhodko O, Fedkiv O, Kruszewska D, Filip R, Botermans J, Svendsen J, Ushakova G, Kovalenko T, Osadchenko I, Goncharova K, Skibo G, Weström B. Exogenous pancreatic-like are recovered in the gut and improve growth of exocrine pancreatic insufficient pigs. J Anim Sci. 2012 Dec;90 Suppl 4:324-6.
- Skibo G., Orlovsky M, Maistrenko A., Dosenko V. and Lushnikova I. Neuroprotective Mechanisms of Intermittent Hypoxia: An In Vitro Study // Intermittent Hypoxia and Human Diseases, London: Springer-Verlag, July 2012, Chapter 14. P.173-180.
- Lushnikova I, Orlovsky M, Dosenko V, Maistrenko A, Skibo G. Brief anoxia preconditioning and HIF prolyl-hydroxylase inhibition enhances neuronal resistance in organotypic hippocampal slices on model of ischemic damage.// Brain Res. 2011 Apr 22;1386: 175-83.
- Lushnikova I, Skibo G, Muller D, Nikonenko I. Excitatory synaptic activity is associated with a rapid structural plasticity of inhibitory synapses on hippocampal CA1 pyramidal cells.// Neuropharmacology. 2011 Apr; 60(5):757-64.
- Tsupykov O.M., Poddubnaya A.O., Smozhanyk K.G., Kyryk V.M., Kuchuk O.V., Butenko G.M., Semenova E.A., Pivneva T.A., Skibo G.G. Integration of grafted neural progenitor cells in host hippocampal circuitry after ischemic injury// Neurophysiology. – 2011. – V.43., №.4., P. 372-375.
- Isaeva E, Lushnikova I, Savrasova A, Skibo G, Holmes GL, Isaev D. Effect of neuraminidase treatment on persistent epileptiform activity in the rat hippocampus.// Pharmacol Rep. 2011 May-Jun; 63(3):840-4.