Vadim F. SAGACH
- Professor in Pathophysiology,
- Correspondent member of NASU, physiology
Current position and address
- Head of the Department of Blood Circulation
- Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology NASU,
- Bogomoletz str. 4, 01024, Kyiv, Ukraine
- Email: email@example.com
Education and Degrees
- MS: Leningrad Medical Institute, Leningrad, USSR, 1966, physician
- PhD: Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, USSR, pathophysiology
- DMSc: Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, USSR, pathophysiology
- Professor: Highest Attestation Committee of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine, 1993, pathophysiology
- Correspondent member of NASU: National Academy Sciences of Ukraine, 1995, physiology
- 1986-present Head of the Department of Blood Circulation, BIPH
- 1992-2015 Deputy Director, Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology NASU
- Courses on Pathophysiology in Taras Shevchenko National University, Kyiv, Ukraine
Honors and Awards
- 1994 O.O. Bogomoletz Prize of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
- 1996 Ukrainian State Prize in the field of Sciences and Technologies
- 2003 Ukrainian State Prize in the field of Sciences and Technologies
- Head of Sector of Physiology of visceral systems,
- Head of the Kiev Section of Ukraine Physiological Society,
- Vice president of Ukrainian physiological society
- Vice president of Ukrainian pathophysiological society
- 1995 - present Chief Editor of “Fiziologichnyi Zhurnal”
- 2010 - present Chief Editor of “International Journal of Physiology and Pathophysiology” (USA)
Summary of Research Activities
VF Sagach is a well-known expert in the field of physiology and pathophysiology of the cardiovascular system. Using methods of cell biology and biochemistry, he has achieved significant success and successfully implements the knowledge gained in the clinic. In his scientific work for the first time a number of previously unknown phenomena and mechanisms of functioning of the organism and the development of pathological processes have been described.
He first described in the world the phenomenon of cardiovascular humoral effects when isolated from the heart cells and the effect on the peripheral vessels of derivatives of metabolism of membrane phospholipids - eicosanoids, which lead to the deposit of blood in the veins and the development of cardiovascular insufficiency. For the first time, it has been grounded the use of blocking agents for the synthesis of these compounds for cardioprotection and prevention of shock states. Together with the collaborators, they conducted in-depth studies to determine the role of nitric oxide, endothelin and thrombocytopant in the changes in the functional state of the cells of the cardiovascular system and the development of its disorders. For the first time it was proved that the development of fundamental vascular reactions - reactive and functional hyperemia - is endothelium dependent and is due to the action of nitric oxide. For the first time, the involvement of nitric oxide and endothelin was shown to central regulation of the circulatory system by the neurons of the medulla oblongata. Sagach VF for the first time substantiated the decisive role of synthesis of nitric oxide in the implementation of the fundamental mechanism of regulation of contractile activity of the myocardium - the Frank-Starling mechanism - the least energy-intensive increase in the force of contraction. It has been shown that reduction of nitric oxide synthesis and corresponding functional consequences of this (development of diastolic dysfunction of the heart) are observed at atherosclerosis, hypertension, diabetes, as well as in old animals.
It was shown for the first time that the fatigue of the working muscle is due to the opening of the mitochondrial pore, the blockade of which prevents its development. For the first time, a method for determining the opening of the mitochondrial pore in the conditions of isolated organs and the whole organism, which is a marker of tissue damage in the clinic, and provides an opportunity to determine the effectiveness of cardioprotection and neuroprotection. This is confirmed during operations on the heart and vessels of the extremities.
In recent years, he has been studying the role of endogenous hydrogen sulfide in cardiovascular regulation the vascular system and the development of its pathological conditions. He first showed that with aging, hypertension. diabetes its synthesis in the tissues of the heart and blood vessels significantly decreases and the restoration of its levels normalizes the function of the latter.It has been shown for the first time that this is due to its ability to restore conjugation NO synthase, which in these states is unpaired. It opens up new ways to fight aging and the aforementioned pathological conditions.